Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spinach and Bacon Quiche Recipe

Quiche making 101

Look up 12 different quiche recipes..

realize that you don't have all the ingredients

to any of the recipes..

make up your own.

Step 1.   Gather supplies


The recipes called for 6 eggs....two eggs....three eggs...

so I decided on four eggs.

Not just any eggs.....these came from happy, spoiled chickens.

I think they had eaten caramel cake that morning.

Makes the quiche sweet.

Now....it called for shredded Cheddar cheese.

All I had was Mexican 4 cheese...

it's a winner!

Most of the recipes called for heavy cream...

I didn't have heavy cream

or a cow....

so I just used regular whole milk. (probably not from happy cows)

Here's what you do.

Take your thawed spinach and drain it of it's moisture.

I put it in my colander and mash (that's a southern term) it down

with paper towels.


Fry your package of bacon until crispy 

then chop the bacon into small pieces.

Take some butter and melt it and paint the bottom of your pie crusts.

Then assemble spinach and bacon.


This is half the box of spinach and I halved the bacon.

Don't forget to chop up the bacon.

I had enough bacon and spinach to do two pies.

I mixed a cup of milk with my 4 eggs.


And added 5 dashes of hot sauce..

(or maybe a smidge more because it's hard to take a picture of that)

and I added a little salt and pepper.



Next your husband will come in and ask

What are you making?

And then you will say quiche and he will turn his nose up and say

What's that?

And you say never mind it's not for you and beat him out of the kitchen.

And speaking of beating...


Now put one and a half cups (or whatever looks good to you) of cheese on top of the spinach and bacon

and pour the wet ingredients over that.


And top that with Parmesan cheese.


I will say that I had enough spinach, bacon and cheese to make two pies..

I only had to mix up the wet ingredients again.

Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.

And voila.........quiche!

And you look around and beat your chest

and say in a deep voice

Uga....I make quiche!

(you don't do that?)


Anyway the quiche was delicious!!!

Even the guys liked it!

And I was able to take the other one to a very, special person.

Here is one of the recipes that I kind of, sort of followed.

Enjoy!!

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 1 9-inch quicheChange Servings
Check All Add to Shopping List

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool.
  3. Fit the pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish, and set aside.
  4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Spread the spinach into the bottom of the pie crust; top with bacon, Cheddar cheese, and green onion. Pour the egg mixture over the filling, and sprinkle the quiche with Parmesan cheese.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is lightly puffed and browned, and a knife inserted into the center of the quiche comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.

11 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I love getting quiche recipes, we're starting to get over run with eggs so anything that uses lots are eggs is a WINNER!

Julie said...

Love reading this. Lots of giggling. Your quiche sounds yummy.

Tete said...

Ok, I have never made one of these in my life. Heck fire, I have never eaten one, either. You are giving me the courage to try to do this. I am going to change it up a bit, bit I think I can do it! ;)

Linda W. said...

Oh this looks really yummy!

Debby Ray said...

Mmmm...I want to lick the computer screen, girl! I think I could eat the whole thing. In fact, my hubby is working all weekend and I can cook and eat what I want...I think I might make one....JUST FOR ME (and a few bites for my puppies) :) Thanks for the recipe-ish!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Sounds good to me!!

Willow said...

DELISH ~ I am making it for the hubs this week .
I heard that real men eat QUICHE right ??

Susan Martin said...

I love it that you "make do" with what you have in the pantry. Sometimes we country living girls have to do that!

Debbie said...

Sounds yummy!! And thanks for the hilarious play-by-play :)

Linda said...

You're my kind of cook! Drives my kids nuts when they want a recipe. I just don't make my sweet momma's quiche often enough.

Anonymous said...

This special friend enjoyed the quiche sooo much. But your visit was the best and your smile and attitude was even better.....thanks for making our day "happy"